Date:      10 Jun 2003 18:34:37 +1200
From:      Andrew Thompson <andy@fud.org.nz>
To:        Patrik Forsberg <patrik.forsberg@dataphone.net>
Cc:        Support <support@netmint.com>
Subject:   RE: Updating Ports on Production Servers

On Tue, 2003-06-10 at 18:15, Patrik Forsberg wrote:

> What a "make deinstall" aculy does is a pkg_delete, so what you could do
> is a pkg_delete <old-package-name> and then "make install" the new
> package.
>
> The bad part about using portupgrade is that you can't specify any
> "special" make parameters if you use any - perhaps I haven't dug deap
> enough into portupgrade to find out how but from what I've seen you
> can't. So if you use any make params to the port I'd surgest doing a
> "pkg_delete <port-name>" and then "make install" it rather then using
> portupgrade.

Oh, you are quite mistaken. make args are one of its strong points :)

Firstly you can use -m on the command line. But even better is
pkgtools.conf where you can store the parameters permanently, no need to
remember them or retype next time you upgrade.

Here is a snippet from mine:
 MAKE_ARGS = {
        'www/mozilla' =>        '-DWITH_GTK2'
 }