Date:      Mon, 13 Dec 1999 21:51:10 -0800 (PST)
From:      Alfred Perlstein <bright@wintelcom.net>
To:        "Alexey N. Dokuchaev" <danfe@inet.ssc.nsu.ru>
Cc:        Free BSD Questions list <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Some ?s about CVSup

On Tue, 14 Dec 1999, Alexey N. Dokuchaev wrote:

> Hello!
>
> I just have a few ?s to make thing clearer:
>
> 1).  Does it make sense to CVSup -RELEASE sources?  And, is -RELEASE
> brance just a -STABLE + packages compiled from ports that were latest to
> the day of release?  If so, would CVSuping -RELEASE act like CVSuping
> -STABLE?  I restate this: If I CVSup my 3.3-RELEASE, will I get latest
> -STABLE (3.x branch)?  Or I have to stick with -STABLE from the very
> beginning to be able to update system sources?

You can easily have cvsup move you to -stable, just make sure you
specify tag=RELENG_3 for it, there shouldn't be a problem with going
from a release to a -stable.

> 2).  There've been a message ported several days ago, when someone
> was saying that generally performance of -RELEASE tends to be greater than
> that of -STABLE.  Anyone has comments on this?

Besideds wanting to know what he was smoking, probably not.

Actually to be fair, let me clarify:

There's an occasional -stable snafu, but -stable is just that
'stable' we strive to keep it as reliable as possible and don't
bungle around changing major infrastructures.

Things going into -stable will generally be things like a device
driver, or NFS fixes, but not something like a rewrite of the
TCP stack.

The only time you'll see a patch posted for a -release is when
a security issue comes up that must be addressed.  And you should
realize that it won't be applied to -release, once a release is
a release there is nothing done to it from that point on, only
-stable gets bugfixes applied to the source.  There's no point
of 'tracking' a -release as it simply doesn't go anywhere.

-Alfred