Date:      Mon, 27 Aug 2001 03:48:23 -0700
From:      "Ted Mittelstaedt" <tedm@toybox.placo.com>
To:        "Cherie&John Carri" <cjcarri@earthlink.net>, <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        <kstewart@urx.com>, <rmoss@bigpond.net.au>, <backdoc@netdoor.com>
Subject:   RE: slooooow ping reply and 60% packet loss on 3c509

According to the ep driver, the 3c509b does not have a half/full duplex mode.

Remove the "media 10baseT/UTP" section, and only use media options after
reading
the man page for the driver.

>Anyone have any more suggestions? I seem to have tried all the ones I got
>or could think of.

Um - I suggested that you try swapping the SMC card from your spare Windows
machine to the BSD machine.  I don't actually know if your SMC 1244 has a
chipset that's supported in FreeBSD, so it may not be recognized, but it's
worth a try.

 Incidentally, I searched the mailing list archives for
>questions related to 3c509 cards, and found several messages relating
>similar problems to mine, but apparently everyone else got their network to
>work once they followed all the steps I took above. Unfortunately it hasn't
>worked for me  yet! Is it time to get another NIC, this one of the PCI
>persuasion?

The 3c509 has never been a strong contender among the FreeBSD nic family, too
many people burned by early version "non-b" cards.  I try not to use them if
I can.