Date:      Mon, 10 Nov 1997 03:58:05 -0600
From:      Tony Overfield <tony@dell.com>
To:        Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
Cc:        mike@smith.net.au, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: >64MB

At 07:53 AM 11/9/97 +0000, Terry Lambert wrote:
>3.  Something else.
>
>A)	Switch to protected mode.
>B)	Set up a TSS and call gate.
>C)	Set up a memory map for real mode, excluding the last 64k in
>	the 640k->1M window.  For it, you leave it unmapped.
>D)	Set up a data area below the 64k that the code stores what area
>	of high memory you want to access.
>E)	"Return" to real mode by calling through the gate.
>F)	When you need to access a 64k chunk abouve 1M, set which one you
>	want in the data area, and then access it as if it were in the
>	64k region.
>G)	Take the fault in protected mode. Examine the data region.  Map
>	the desired region in the Real mode last 64k.  Return.
>
>This is not quite trivial, but it's not quite impossible, either.

No, it's not impossible to do, it's just useless to do, IMHO, for the
job at hand.  I don't see any reason to turn the bootloader into a
vm86() program that plays games like this just to copy to memory above
1 MB, since it's far easier to just switch modes and copy it directly.

>There are several other you can do using suspend/resume instructions and
>similar tricks

Suspend instruction?  I could have sworn I knew them all by heart.

If you're referring to SMI mode, that's not an option that's available
to you, the BIOS owns that.  If your book was discussing that as a way
to copy memory around, it must have been an educational example.

#1 was the well-known method of setting maximal limits on the descriptors
before returning to real mode.

No, I don't have that book.

-
Tony