Date:      Sat, 26 May 2001 06:17:34 -0500
From:      Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
To:        Donald Burr of Borg <dburr@borg-cube.com>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Any plans for FireWire/iLink (IEEE1394) support? Or does it exist?

Donald Burr of Borg <dburr@borg-cube.com> types:
> So, my question is this: Will FreeBSD be gettin' some of this
> wonderfully fiery goodness?  Does FireWire support already exist, in some
> form or another, perhaps in CURRENT?  If not, are there any definite plans
> to add support for it at some point down the line?

Well, as soon as someone who can write the code wants it - or gets
paid to do it - it'll show up. I'm planning on looking at the driverfs
in OSX, to see how much of them can be reused. A lot of that depends
on how portable Apple's code is.

That's the single most tempting thing about OSX - that I can buy a
laptop that runs a Unix supported by the vendor, so I don't *have*
those kinds of problems. Well, won't after they finish the thing.

	<mike