Date:      Mon, 5 Dec 2005 19:11:11 +0100
From:      Clement Laforet <sheepkiller@cultdeadsheep.org>
To:        Matt Sealey <matt@genesi-usa.com>
Cc:        ports@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Updating Apache 2.0.55 to 2.2.0

--lIrNkN/7tmsD/ALM

On Mon, Dec 05, 2005 at 11:21:46AM -0600, Matt Sealey wrote:
>=20
> I want to move our server to Apache 2.2.0 that was just released and is n=
ow
> in the ports tree. I am concerned that
>=20
> 1) I have to uninstall Apache 2.0.55 to let the new one install properly
> 2) it might not build okay and our webserver will be dead while I fix it
>=20
> What exactly is the recommended way to move from apache20 to apache22 in =
the
> ports tree, with minimal fuss or downtime? Could I just install with
> FORCE_PKG_REGISTER=3D1 and so on, and then remove apache20 from the ports
> database as a hack? Is that safe?
Using FORCE_PKG_REGISTER will case a massive deletion of your binaries
when you try to remove apache2 ;-).

Currently there's no howto. You can safely build apache22 when=20
apache20 is installed, to minimize downtime.
If you have install devel/apr. you need to defined=20
WITH_APR_FROM_PORTS. Be careful if you also install latest OpenSSL=20
=66rom ports.
=20
BTW, if you use third party modules from ports, please check they are=20
compliant to new USE_APACHE framework to not mess your pkg database.
Makefile must contain USE_APACHE=3D(13|20)+ or support apache22.

As said previously, make a package of your current apache=20
installation.=20

good luck,
clem

--lIrNkN/7tmsD/ALM