Date:      Mon, 23 Jan 2006 19:31:10 -0500
From:      Jim Keller <freebsd@contexthosting.net>
To:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   FreeBSD 4.9 won't upgrade ?

Hey all,
    I have a FreeBSD 4.9 machine here that simply doesn't want to
upgrade, though the buildworld/installworld process seems to go
successfully. I'm just trying to go to 4.11 at the moment. I've done the
installworld process on more than a few machines before without any
problems (following the steps outlined in the handbook). However, on
this machine, I go through the whole process, and although it does
appear to recompile the system (my openssl went from the original distro
to the newest version, for example), uname -a is still reporting the
distro as 4.9-RELEASE. Also, it will not install a custom kernel, it
always goes to GENERIC, even when I specify KERNCONF= in the buildkernel
process. I've CVSUP'd my source twice (currently my tag is RELENG_4_11)
and run the whole process twice, including starting with removing
/usr/obj and doing a double make cleandir in /usr/src. Any ideas? Thanks.

-Jim Keller