Date:      Wed, 12 Sep 2012 15:23:15 +0200
From:      Mathieu Arnold <mat@FreeBSD.org>
To:        "Simon L. B. Nielsen" <simon@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        freebsd-hubs@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: freebsd-update "mirror" howto

+--On 12 septembre 2012 13:57:34 +0100 "Simon L. B. Nielsen"
<simon@FreeBSD.org> wrote:
| On Wed, Sep 12, 2012 at 12:42 PM, Mathieu Arnold <mat@freebsd.org> wrote:
|
|> It's not really a hubs thing, but anyway, I thought I'd share my few
|> bits...
|>
|> For a long time, I pondered about upgrading my 300+ freebsd servers, and
|> a few months back freebsd-update seemed like the way to go...
|
| Very interesting for information like this to be shared. Even better
| if somebody could be tricked into putting it in the handbook :-).

Hum, I see where you're going with that ;-)

The thing is, I wanted a bit of feedback to see if I wasn't doing something
stupid before committing myself into doing that.

I have not written doc for a long time, I'll try to see if I can coerce
myself into doing that next week while I'm vacationing in Corsica.

|> Now, I did not want all those servers to hit the main freebsd-update
|> servers, so I setup a nice local "mirror" using varnish.
|
| Why did you decide to go with Varnish instead of a program designed as
| a forward cache?

Because Varnish is *cool*. :-p

|> Varnish's configuration is there https://gist.github.com/2637602 and it
|> would be even better if varnish could use SRV records to define it's
|> backends by itself, but for now, there are a couple of shell that I have
|> to run whenever I feel like it to update the list.
|
| Evil workaround thing would be to just parse the SRV records in a
| script and then generate the varnish config wrt. backend based on
| that... not pretty though :-).

Well, that's almost already what's there, when I feel the need to update, I
edit the file with vim, I remove the old lines, copy the shell line in the
script, remove the # and type "V!bash" ;-)

--
Mathieu Arnold