Date:      Fri, 7 Apr 2017 10:45:31 -0700
From:      Pete Wright <pete@nomadlogic.org>
To:        freebsd-arm@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: OT: 96-core 1U ARM server

On 04/07/2017 10:35, Jim Thompson wrote:
> ThunderX, best application right now is "scale out" web loads.
> They start at a single socket for under $3,000
> http://www.nextwarehouse.com/item/?2465022_g10e
>
> You could try to buy it directly from Gigabyte:
> http://b2b.gigabyte.com/Rack-Server/ARM-SoC
>
> If you can't get inside, lmk, and I'll put you in touch with our mfg rep
> for them.

I was pretty impressed with my R&D thunderx system.  def agree on the
worklaod type - using it for compilation or other cpu intensive tasks it
was a bit slower than comparable intel CPU's (Xeon E5-xxxx class).  but
we had a heavily multi-threaded, network intensive workload that it did
a pretty good job handling.  the embedded 40Gig NIC on our R&D unit was
pretty impressive as well, as was power draw in our lab.

sadly i left that gig before i had a chance to advocate to get it into
prod - kinda wish i still worked at that job for all the fun hardware i
had access to :)

-pete

--
Pete Wright