Date:      Fri, 22 Aug 1997 10:23:02 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Jim Lowe <james@miller.cs.uwm.edu>
To:        hasty@rah.star-gate.com, tinguely@plains.NoDak.edu
Cc:        freebsd-multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG, sales@omt.com
Subject:   Re: Regard to phone call about FreeBSD drivers

> From: Amancio Hasty <hasty@rah.star-gate.com>
> Hi,
>  Spoke briefly with Dr. Redi . Basically, I am going to meet him tomorrow
>  and just chat a bit more. I have dealt with OmniMedia in the past .
>  Briefly, cause I am still at wor, does anyone have any cool ideas
>  for next generation audio/video hardware -- desired codecs,
>  telephony support, full duplex audio. etc,...

I have lots of ideas :-).  One thing that would be nice is an
integrated full duplex sound card with video capture/playback.  It
would be nice to have both a PCI card and a PCMCIA card.  The chips
which come to mind are the crystal semiconductor 4231 and the
booktree 848.  It would be real cool to have a mobile laptop with
a small video camera/mic/speakers so you could video conference
from the beach :-).

I would also like a card which would do real-time (hardware)
mpeg encoding/decoding (video and audio) with full duplex sound
and video capture/playback.  Of course, things like genlock,
a built in programmable clock/timestamp device, and h.261/jpeg
encoder/decoder would be nice, provided they didn't drive the
price up too much.

Then, of course, there is the multi-headed video capture/playback
device.  Very similar to the single channel card above, but; which
could record 4 channels of video and display 4 channels of video
simutaneously, as well as, 4 channel mpeg/jpeg/h.261 encode/decode
and surround sound full duplex audio mpeg encode/decode.  With the
proper cameras, projectors, microphones, and speakers one could
turn their hacking room into a cave :-).

I suppose a two channel version of the above card would be
useful for those who have a smaller budget and don't mind wearing
funny glasses :-)

	-Jim