Date:      Mon, 2 Jun 2003 05:43:34 +0000
From:      Anthony Naggs <tony@ubik.demon.co.uk>
To:        freebsd@totalsmackdown.net
Cc:        freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Linksys WPC11 ver.4

In article <1308.65.27.100.34.1054442547.squirrel@mail.totalsmackdown.ne
t>, Eric H <freebsd@totalsmackdown.net> writes
>I recently picked one of these up looking for a supported replacement card
>for my Broadcom mini-pci nic that came with my Dell Inspiron 8500. Due to
>my haste and impatience, I failed to notice that it was version 4 of the
>card and upon inserting the card under 5.0-RELEASE GENERIC, I get the
>following:
>
>#Manufacturer ID: 00004c02
>Functions: Network Adapter, Multi-Functioned
>Function Extension: 0102
>Function Extension: 0280969800
>Function Extension: 0200e1f505
>Function Extension: 040600e04c390010
>Product Version: 5.0
>Product Name: Realtek | rtl8139 |
>CIS reading done
>~~~~
>Cardbus0: < unknown card > (vendor=0x10ec, dev=0x8180) at 0.0 irq 11

This appears to be using the Realtek RTL8180 chipset.

>cbb0: CardBus card activation failed
>
>Not sure how similar to the previous revisions of the card this is, but
>quite possibly just a minor change or addition to the wi driver. Anyone
>have any luck or have any ideas?

Completely different chipset, alas.  I have emailed Realtek asking for
programming information but not received any reply.  :-(

Is there a cross-reference of which WLAN chipsets are supported and
which products they appear in?  (Warner?)  It seems like something is
needed especially for the lower cost (Linksys, Netgear, D-Link, etc...)
brands who keep jumping between chipsets.

Tony