Date:      Fri, 05 Dec 1997 01:27:07 -0800
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
To:        Stefan Esser <se@freebsd.org>
Cc:        ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Anyone build the latest KDE port under 2.2.5-stable lately?

> You must have lost the includes installed by the
> kdelibs port ...
> Rebuild and install that, and test again.

I figured it out - the kdecore library was still in my ld cache
even though I'd purged /usr/local/kde from the system (blah!)
and it was false-detecting the kdelibs port as having been
already built.

This isn't the first time that ld cache poisoning has bit me before.
You install a port, it ldconfigs the new libraries in, then you
pkg_delete it and try doing another make - it sees the libs still in
the ldconfig cache and your build falls over.  Technically, of course,
since the libraries were added by the install / pkg_add process they
should be deleted by the pkg_delete.  I suppose you could make this
work fairly easily by hacking ``ldconfig -m'' to do a two-way merge:
If you merge from a directory and there are entries in your cache
which aren't still found there, they get deleted.  Just add an
`@unexec ldconfig -m %D' for each @exec ldconfig already there and
you're in business.

Hmmm.  Sounds like work. :)

					Jordan