Date:      Mon, 06 Dec 1999 14:06:08 +0200
From:      Sheldon Hearn <sheldonh@uunet.co.za>
To:        "Alexey N. Dokuchaev" <danfe@inet.ssc.nsu.ru>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Some questions

On Mon, 06 Dec 1999 13:51:00 +0600, "Alexey N. Dokuchaev" wrote:

> Well, oddly enough, I wasn't able to send Shift/Alt,say,F7 (continue
> search).  Moreover, Ctrl-O (show/hide panels) works like if I ssh'ed to
> another machine (I've tested this effect under RH Linux 6.1 installation,
> on console it works just fine, but when I ssh somewhere, still having
> TERM=linux, it woks like on cons25 console).  What's wrong?

Could you provide a more sensible description of the problem?  For
example:

        When I use MC on the console of my FreeBSD machine with
        TERM=cons25, Ctrl-O swaps panels properly.

        However, when I ssh from my FreeBSD machine into a Linux host,
        which uses the completely non-standard TERM=linux, Ctrl-O causes
        puppies to leap out from my screen and chew my keyboard.

> Is linux better (speaking of teminals)?

If all you ever use is Linux, then yes, it's fantastic.  However, for
something to be useful in the UNIX world, interoperability is important.
:-)

> Please prove me wrong, I want to love FreeBSD, not Linux.  And right
> now that's not the case :-(

If this is the kind of thing that's going to make you love or hate an
operating system, you're in for some hard knocks. :-)

Ciao,
Sheldon.