Date:      Sun, 14 Oct 2001 18:51:07 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Oliver Fromme <olli@secnetix.de>
To:        freebsd-multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: aviplay with 24-bit color depth?

Conrad Sabatier <conrads@home.com> wrote:
 > Hmmm.  I'm running the latest version of X from the ports collection, and
 > still the same behavior.  I get the same thing in mplayer unless I use the
 > -vo switch to force a particular visual setting.
 >
 > Strange.  I'm wondering if there may be some X module I should or shouldn't
 > be loading.  My XF86Config is pretty bare-bones at the moment.

xdpyinfo tells you which extensions are supported by your
X server, among other things.  For video playback, you
probably want the "XVideo" extension.  xvinfo tells you
more information about that extension -- in particular,
it tells you which visuals (bits per pixel) it supports.

Here's an excerpt from `xdpyinfo` on my box:

   vendor release number:    40100000
   XFree86 version: 4.1.0
   maximum request size:  4194300 bytes
   motion buffer size:  256
   bitmap unit, bit order, padding:    32, LSBFirst, 32
   image byte order:    LSBFirst
   number of supported pixmap formats:    7
   supported pixmap formats:
       depth 1, bits_per_pixel 1, scanline_pad 32
       depth 4, bits_per_pixel 8, scanline_pad 32
       depth 8, bits_per_pixel 8, scanline_pad 32
       depth 15, bits_per_pixel 16, scanline_pad 32
       depth 16, bits_per_pixel 16, scanline_pad 32
       depth 24, bits_per_pixel 32, scanline_pad 32
       depth 32, bits_per_pixel 32, scanline_pad 32
   number of extensions:    23
       BIG-REQUESTS
       DOUBLE-BUFFER
       DPMS
       Extended-Visual-Information
       FontCache
       LBX
       MIT-SCREEN-SAVER
       MIT-SHM
       MIT-SUNDRY-NONSTANDARD
       RENDER
       SECURITY
       SHAPE
       SYNC
       TOG-CUP
       XC-APPGROUP
       XC-MISC
       XFree86-Bigfont
       XFree86-Misc
       XFree86-VidModeExtension
       XInputExtension
       XKEYBOARD
       XTEST
       XVideo
   default screen number:    0
   number of screens:    1

   screen #0:
     dimensions:    1024x768 pixels (289x217 millimeters)
     resolution:    90x90 dots per inch
     depths (7):    24, 1, 4, 8, 15, 16, 32
     depth of root window:    24 planes
     number of visuals:    1
     default visual id:  0x21
     visual:
       visual id:    0x21
       class:    TrueColor
       depth:    24 planes

And this is what `xvinfo` says (excerpt):

X-Video Extension version 2.2
screen #0
  Adaptor #0: "Savage Streams Engine"
    number of ports: 1