Date:      Tue, 25 Mar 2003 11:41:59 +0600
From:      Max Khon <fjoe@iclub.nsu.ru>
To:        Mark Day <mday@apple.com>
Cc:        Yar Tikhiy <yar@FreeBSD.ORG>, "Matthew N. Dodd" <mdodd@FreeBSD.ORG>, ppc@FreeBSD.ORG, fs@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: HFS/HFS Plus driver and tools for 5.x are available

hi, there!

On Mon, Mar 24, 2003 at 05:10:11PM -0800, Mark Day wrote:

> > It would be nice to have an option for case-sensitive mode.
>
> What do you mean by a case-sensitive mode?
>
> If you mean allowing two files in the same directory whose names differ
> only in case, then you're talking about an incompatible change in the
> volume format.

yes.

> Directory entries are stored in a B-tree, sorted in
> part on the case-insensitive name.  If you make the names in the B-tree
> keys case sensitive, your sort order will be different, and you'll be
> incompatible with existing HFS or HFS Plus volumes.  If you want to
> experiment with this, I strongly suggest using a different signature
> word.

It can be newfs-time option.
Case-sensitive HFS+ volumes can have different signature in MBR (or whatever
partitioning scheme is used on that hardware platform).
There is a plenty of variants.

I think case-sensitive mode is needed if we want to consider HFS+ as a
viable replacement (think about journalling and Unicode) for UFS/UFS2.

/fjoe