Date:      Mon, 02 Feb 1998 21:21:49 +0000
From:      Brian Somers <brian@Awfulhak.org>
To:        Frankenvince <vince@rocler.qc.ca>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ppp/sio1 problem

> Hi
>
> ok, here it goes.
>
> My box has a problem that started out of the blue. Often, it says:
>  sio1: 234 more tty-levels buffer overflows (total 325634)
> in ttyv0, both 234 and 325634 are random numbers on my part.
> It happens when there's any kind of download from my ISP.  On
> sio1 is my 33.6kbps modem.
>
> I recently saw in ppp, while doing show modem:
>  outq: ioctl probe failed: Interupted system call
>
> It's bothering me a lot since it's slowing down my internet
> connection for like half of it's speed and also ppp gives me
> segmentation faults whenever there's a lot of connections asked.

The outq error was a typo in the source code.  It's now fixed.  You
can get the current version of ppp from http://www.FreeBSD.org/~brian.

I'd appreciate if you'd download the latest version and post if
you're still getting segmentation faults.  There's a bit in the FAQ
on http://www.FreeBSD.org/FAQ/userppp.html that explains how to
coerce ppp into dumping core if it's suffering from segmentation
faults or the like (which it should *never* do).

> Thanks
> Vince

That said, your speed problem is due to the sio overflows.  I'd be
quite surprised if this is anything to do with ppp.  Have you tried
things on another serial port (if you have two) ?  What DTR speed are
you using ?  It should be 115200bps for a 33k modem.  What sort of
UART do you have ?

      <http://www.Awfulhak.org>;