Date:      Sun, 29 Jun 2008 20:19:02 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Jeff Richards <bsd24x7@yahoo.com>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   gjournal question

I have started experimenting with gjournal filesystems this weekend.=A0 I f=
ound something that may be a mistake I made.=A0 Not sure.

To break up my IDE drive into the filesystems I wanted I created multiple s=
lices.=A0 On slice 2=A0 I had multiple gjournal filesystems.=A0 I tried cre=
ating a journal on slice 3 (ad0s3d I think), but it failed.=A0 It actually =
created a journal entry in /dev, but I had trouble using it.=A0 I then trie=
d to remove the journal.=A0 Then a journal entry in /dev appeared for the s=
lice itself (/dev/ad0s3.journal).=A0 If I removed the journal on the slice =
the partition journal reappeared.

I was able to get my filesystems the way I wanted by not using slice 3 and =
putting the remaining fileystem in slice 2.

Are there any internal requirement that a slice must be fully utilized with=
 partitions before a new slice may be used?=A0 I think I was able to create=
 a standard UFS2 filesystem on slice 3 and just had trouble with the journa=
l.

This was not a major problem for me,=A0 just curious.

Thanks.
=0A=0A=0A