Date:      Mon, 13 Dec 1999 23:34:52 -0600 (CST)
From:      Ryan Thompson <freebsd@sasknow.com>
To:        "William F. Day" <bill_day_25@hotmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   DOS user installing FreeBSD  [ WAS: Re: Curiousity ]

Hi, there, William;

Please configure your mail client, or get a new one, so that your messages
are send as plain text, formatted to 72 characters per line.  Messages
formatted as yours were are very difficult to read with some clients.

I'm glad to hear you're going to give FreeBSD a try.  I must STRONGLY
advise against doing a diskette based install, unless you have a VERY good
reason to do so.  Frankly, I'm not sure that know exactly how much work
you'd be in for. :-)

If you're going to download the release via FTP anyway, why not install
over FTP?  I have installed virtually every copy of FreeBSD in this
manner, and recommend it.  Even if you are stuck with a dialup connection,
it's still a possibility.  (I did a full install of 2.2.x with X over a
33.6k modem some time ago, as I recall...)  If you *are* working on a slow
connection, you can always just install the /bin, /docs, and /man
distribution to get you going, and add distributions once your system is
working.

If you're on a dedicated high speed connection such as a DSL line (cable
modem), the transfer time shouldn't be much of a concern.  I can install,
configure and boot a new system with X and full sources from scratch over
a cable modem connection in about an hour.  I can do the same over the T1
in... About An Hour(TM).  And, with a cleverly modified boot disk, I can
be doing my email over the net, to boot, while the distributions are
being installed... But that's a lesson for another thread/day :-)

If you're wanting to "try out" FreeBSD, go with 3.3-RELEASE or 3.3-STABLE
(which is now 3.4-RC).  Follow the instructions in INSTALL.TXT.  Some
handy servers:

ftp.freebsd.org - Current 3.3-RELEASE binaries and boot floppies
releng3.freebsd.org - If you want the most stable and up-to date version
of FreeBSD available for installation, find a recent snapshot of 3.3 for
i386 and download the boot floppies from there.

The handbook at www.freebsd.org/handbook/ describes much of this process
in detail (see "Staying -STABLE with FreeBSD", and all sections on
installing).

On Mon, 13 Dec 1999, William F. Day wrote:

>     Well, I'm preparing to build another computer and I am considering
> running FreeBSD on it.  Though my question is how do I download it
> properly from a Windows based PC?  I will be using the diskette
> installation method, until I'm sure I'll keep it, then I plan to
> purchase the book from Walnut Creek CD-ROM that contains the CD's and
> shareware.
>     what would be my steps to retrieve it(and exactly which version)
> using an ftp utility such as ws_ftp95 that offers a binary transfer?
>
> Any help would be greatly appreciated.
>
> Thank you,
> Bill

---

  Ryan Thompson <ryan@sasknow.com>
  50% Owner, Technical and Accounts
  Phone: +1 (306) 664-1161

  SaskNow Technologies     http://www.sasknow.com
  #106-380 3120 8th St E   Saskatoon, SK  S7H 0W2