Date:      Fri, 17 Aug 2001 15:13:06 -0500
From:      Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
To:        Bjarne Wichmann Petersen <mekanix@privat.dk>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Opening root-windows on userX' display.

Bjarne Wichmann Petersen <mekanix@privat.dk> types:
> On Friday 17 August 2001 21:29, Mike Meyer wrote:
> > Make sure the environment XAUTHORITY variable is set when you're
> > working as root.
> Set it where? If I make a 'export XAUTHORITY=yes|1 ; kcontrol' from the
> commandprompt (tried from both root and joeuser before running 'su') and
> still get the error.

Try reading the X man page. From that:

       The  file  from which Xlib extracts authorization data can
       be specified with the environment variable XAUTHORITY, and
       defaults  to  the  file .Xauthority in the home directory.
       Xdm uses $HOME/.Xauthority and will create it or merge  in
       authorization  records  if  it  already exists when a user
       logs in.