Date:      Mon, 09 Dec 1996 16:33:42 -0800
From:      David Greenman <dg@root.com>
To:        Softweyr LLC <softweyr@xmission.com>
Cc:        chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: siguing into current from a random version

>Terry Lambert opined:

   Actually, that was Joerg refuting Terry's claim that this was a problem.

>% I can barely remember that we've
>% been suffering from two people hammering at the tree at the same spot,
>% and causing inconsistencies by this.  99.9 % of the problems have been
>% human errors.
>
>David Greenman reinforced:
>>    In fact, in the history of the project, I don't think it has ever occurred.
>> The mistakes I was refering to are botched diffs and incomplete commits.

>Two ugly situations CVS doesn't handle well.  One of the major caveats
>of CVS is that transactions are not atomic; commits that are interrupted
>by equipment, connectivity, and operator headspace errors are difficult
>to recover from.  It's not perfect, but the price is right.  Or is it?

   These are actually fairly rare, too. I think it's happened to me once, but
it was easy to recover. The biggest problem is that when I lost connectivity,
it stayed that way for awhile and things remained half-committed during this
time. ...but it was only 15 minutes, so no big deal.

-DG

David Greenman