Date:      Thu, 2 Aug 2001 14:34:58 -0700
From:      "Hank Wethington" <bsd@info-logix.com>
To:        "Kris Kennaway" <kris@obsecurity.org>
Cc:        <security-officer@freebsd.org>, <security@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   RE: OpenSSL patch applied and now locked out of machine.

I wanted to follow up on the solution and problem I encountered for anyone
else following the thread.

First I want to say that this is the reason to have a test box... Please
always use on a test box before performing on a production server. This will
save many headaches.

Since I applied the patch then compiled in the wrong directory I changed the
way BSD handled the DES passwords, as Kris pointed out. After driving the 3
hours to get to the box, I found I could log in locally as root, but not as
the admin user I have set up. I thought this weird, anyone care to explain?
This was good as I don't have a floppy or cd installed and single user log
in is locked out. After getting into the machine, I redownloaded the crypto
libs and a few other lib files from /stand/sysinstall. rebooted the machine
and viola, it all worked. People started getting mail again and my logins
worked again. I reapplied the patch (correctly this time) and all was well.

So with that said, the machine is working again, but I am curious why I
could log in locally as root after the crypto change. Is the local login
different than the SSH login?

Thanks for everyone's help.

Hank Wethington

Information Logistics