Date:      Tue, 6 Apr 1999 16:20:09 -0400
From:      Lowell Gilbert <lowell@world.std.com>
To:        jef53313@bayou.uh.edu
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: /usr/libexec/ld-elf.so.a Invalid format

and Jonathan Fosburgh <wotan@fosburgh.dyndns.org> pointed out that
he'd said:

   > [and to make searches find the error message in this message]
   > >> I have just upgrade from 228R to 31R. When trying to start Xemacs (from
   > >> 228R), I have the following message :
   > >>   /usr/libexec/ld-elf.so.a Invalid format

and continued:

   3.1-R is running on the system in question.  When I was getting the error,
   it was while running 3.1-R packages on a 3.1-R system.  I think an upgrade
   to 3.1-STABLE is needed to fix this but I do not know for sure if that is
   what fixed it for me.

Um, okay, I apologize for not catching that.  I'm still a little
confused about what you meant about Xemacs being from 2.2.8-RELEASE,
but if, as you say, 2.2.8 actually has nothing to do with the
question, then the question becomes why it was looking for ld-elf.so.a
in the first place.  There doesn't seem to be a problem report on
this...

The only other thing I can think of to check is whether the package
*really* was 3.1-RELEASE.  The /pub/FreeBSD/packages directory on the
ftp sites is *not* for 3.1-RELEASE; it's for 3.1-STABLE.  The
3.1-RELEASE packages are, um, somewhere else in the tree.  To be sure
you could run the -STABLE packages, you'd need to install an upgrade
kit (or upgrade to -STABLE).

Be well.