Date:      Thu, 20 Jan 2005 00:29:09 +0800
From:      "yoke an" <yokean1@hotmail.com>
To:        delphij@frontfree.net
Cc:        milan@netlabplus.sk
Subject:   Re: freebsd problem: Cannot detect Hard Disk (SATA)

   > > Using 3.x binaries is discouraged due to security issues found in
   > > libc of FreeBSD 3.x.  However, it's possible to run most FreeBSD
   > > 3.x binaries if you remove FORBIDDEN= line from
   ports/misc/compat3x,
   > > while this is not recommended since it can pose you to security
   > > vulnerabilities.

   > Would you please tell us what the application is?
   >I should add that only a certain 3.x binaries are affected, however,
   >it's still not so reasonable to run binaries that have not been
   touched
   >for so long time...
   >
   >Cheers,
   >--
   >Xin LI <delphij frontfree net> http://www.delphij.net/
   >See complete headers for GPG key and other information.
   >
   ><< attach3 >>

   It is PureMessage Anti-Virus & Anti-Spam (Sophos) application. Knew
   that you also doing the same on a research for Anti-Spam, not sure
   whether you have heard this product before? Perhaps I should make
   myself clear about my current problem so you will have the picture.

   Problem as following:

   1.During the installation -> Booting for freebsd v4.8 on i386 from
   CD-ROM -> Reach "Kernel Configuration Menu" -> select option 2 "Start
   kernel configuration in full-screen visual mode"

   2.  Reach "The Kernel Device Configuration Visual Interface" -> Press
   "Q [Save and Exit]"

   3. Reach "Sysinstall Main Menu" -> select "Standard [Begin a standard
   installation]

   4. Creating Slices Using FDisk -> "Problem: Hard Disk cannot detected"

   I'm running on SATA mode. Supposingly I will need to configure my
   Driver on "The Kernel Device Configuration Visual Interface". Not sure
   the setting for SATA mode and whether 4.8 is supported?

   HW spec:
   Intel Xeron 2.8 G
   Seagate ST380013AS HDD
   Tiger i7501R S2735-8M motherboard

   Rgds, Ann

   Search the Internet from any Web page with [1]MSN Toolbar.