Date:      Sun, 30 Jun 2002 09:16:57 -0400
From:      Craig Rodrigues <rodrigc@attbi.com>
To:        Peter Korsten <peterk@maltanet.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org, freebsd-firewire@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Booting FreeBSD-CURRENT off of a Firewire disk?

On Sun, Jun 30, 2002 at 11:13:47AM +0200, Peter Korsten wrote:
> If you can make a boot block for FreeBSD that has firewire support, you
> might pull it off. I think it's the only scenario possible with the
> restrictions (no resizing of the XP partition, etc.) that you describe.
>
> Since a boot block is typically very small (512 bytes or so), this could be
> a real challenge.

Unless I misunderstand what you are saying, I'm guessing that
putting Firewire support within a 512 byte boot block will be
impossible.

Could I put some sort of minimal distribution on
either a floppy disk or CD-ROM, just to do the initial
bootstrap and initialize the Firewire driver, and then choose the
final bootstrap using a kernel image on the firewire disk?

Thanks.
--
Craig Rodrigues
http://www.gis.net/~craigr