Date:      Thu, 2 Feb 1995 16:14:49 -0900
From:      wallison@ifc.com (Bill Allison)
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   tty/modem config problems -- help again!

I recently bought a USR Sportster 28.8 V.34 modem and installed it on my
FreeBSD 1.1.5.1 system.  I got kermit, installed the binary, and have been
having varying degrees of success & failure getting modems to work.

(Under one configuration I got getty errors (device /dev/ttyd2 not
configured) all the time)

Using the connect command in kermit, I was able to  give AT commands to the
modem successfully, and was able to make it answer the phone. Then, when the
modem connected, the whole system  crashed  with a page fault error.  I
can't even communicate w/ the modem any more because as soon as I type
"connect" the screen goes blank and gibberish (including login messages) go
flying by...

I am sure there is some obvious/basic thing I am doing wrong... I read every
FAQ I could get my hands on.  I am sorry to trouble you all, but I would
appreciate help.  I have attached excerpts from relevant files & messages:

---from /dev/:
crw-rw-rw-    1 root     wheel      1,   0 Feb  2 15:23 tty
crw-------    1 root     wheel     28,   0 Feb  2 14:29 tty00
crw-rw-rw-    1 root     wheel     28,   1 Feb  2 12:01 tty01
crw-------    1 root     wheel     28,   0 Feb  2 12:02 ttyd2
crw-------    1 root     wheel     28,   2 Feb  2 11:21 ttyd2old
crw-------    1 root     wheel     28,   3 Feb  2 12:01 ttyd3

---excerpt from dmesg--(sio info)---------------------------------------------
sio0 at 0x3f8-0x3ff irq 4 on isa
sio0: type 16550A
sio1 at 0x2f8-0x2ff irq 3 on isa
sio1: type 16550A
sio2 not found at 0x3e8
sio3 not found at 0x2e8

---from /etc/ttys-------------------------------------------------------
# Virtual terminals
ttyv1   "/usr/libexec/getty Pc"         cons25  on secure
ttyv2   "/usr/libexec/getty Pc"         cons25  on secure
ttyv3   "/usr/libexec/getty Pc"         cons25  off secure
# Hardwired terminals
tty00   "/usr/libexec/getty std.57600"  unknown on secure
tty01   "/usr/libexec/getty std.57600"  unknown off secure
# Dialin terminals
ttyd2   "/usr/libexec/getty std.57600"  unknown off secure
ttyd3   "/usr/libexec/getty std.9600"   unknown on secure

---from /etc/gettytab-------------------------------------------------------

#
# Dial in rotary tables, speed selection via 'break'
#
0|d300|Dial-300:\
        :nx=d1200:cd#2:sp#300:
d1200|Dial-1200:\
        :nx=d150:fd#1:sp#1200:
d150|Dial-150:\
        :nx=d110:lm@:tc=150-baud:
d110|Dial-110:\
        :nx=d300:tc=300-baud:
d115200:\
        :np:to#30:hc:tc=115200-baud

--------from /etc/rc-------------------------------------------------------
#comm port setup
#echo -n 'setting comm ports'
echo -n 'port 1' ; stty -f /dev/tty00 -clocal crtscts ; comcontrol
/dev/tty00 bidir
#echo -n 'port 1' ; stty -f /dev/ttyd2 -clocal crtscts ; comcontrol
/dev/ttyd2 bidir

William Allison
Ian Freed Consulting, Inc.
Seattle,  WA  98104