Date:      Fri, 5 May 1995 21:59:00 +1000
From:      Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>
To:        current@FreeBSD.org
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Great Renaming of ttyd* and cua* Yet Again

We now have or will have some new h/w tty drivers that have more consistent
names for the devices:

		callin		callout		initial		lock
Cyclades:	ttyc[0-v]	cuac[0-v]	ttyic*,cuaic*	ttylc*,cualc*
Riscom:		ttyr[0-v]	n/a		n/a		n/a

We have many inconsistenly named h/w tty devices:

Cronyx:		tty[x-z][0-f]	n/a		n/a		n/a
Generic xxx50:	ttyd[0-v]	cuaa[0-v]	ttyid*,cuaia*	ttyla*,cuala*
isdn:		ity0[0-1]	ityo[0-1]	n/a		n/a

I think the names and control interfaces should be:

Foo:		ttyF[0-v]	cuaF[0-v]	ttyFi*,cuaFi*	ttyFl*,cuaFl*

i.e., the first letter of the driver name should appear following `tty' in
the device name, and the initial and lock devices should be named so that
you can find all `Foo' tty devices asily using shell regular expressions.

This mainly affects sio.  It's confusing to have `d' and `a' ttys being
fore the `sio' driver.  `s' wouldn't be much better because the sio driver
is for xxx50 chips and not for all serial chips.  I intend to reorganize
the driver and this distinction will be clearer - sio.c will have the
generic serial stuff and nsxxx50.c will have the xxx50 stuff; sio.c will
be used by cy.c...  So sio devices should be renamed ttyn*.

This doesn't solve the problem of naming lots of devices.  I don;t have
a good solution.  The sio encoding limits the number of ports to 32, but
this should change soon.  The Cronyx device numbering takes too much
precious namespace and has bugs: it only covers 48 ports but the driver
supports 64 and the last one is special so it should be covered, and
the last letter stops at f instead of at v.

Bruce