Date:      Mon, 07 May 2001 21:16:41 -0500
From:      David Kelly <dkelly@grumpy.dyndns.org>
To:        Jonathan Belson <jon@witchspace.com>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Lockups with -Stable on Athlon

Jonathan Belson writes:
> Hiya
>

> I recently upgraded my machine to a 1.2GHz Athlon on
> a ABit KT7A motherboard, with 256MB RAM.
>
> Unfortunately I've started been experiencing a number
> of complete lock-ups when running FreeBSD (X3.3.6 +
> KDE 2.1.1) - it abruptly freezes, I can't even ping
> the machine.  Nothing in the logfiles gives any hints.

800 MHz Athlon and Asus A7V, plain old PC133 memory, unknown CAS (let
the BIOS read it off the stick). This system would lockup usually 30
minutes into a heavy load such as "make -j4 buildworld", which is a 55
minute job. The variable time between freezes was such that it could
complete about 1 in 5.

Started surfing the BIOS config. The last thing I changed before finding
stability said something about PCI 2.2 standard in the comments in the
printed manual, said nothing on the screen. I disabled it as all my PCI
cards are pre-2.2. System has been rock solid since. And I buildworld
several times per week just to make sure. All the while running the
dnetc client.

--
David Kelly N4HHE, dkelly@hiwaay.net