Date:      3 May 2010 18:30:38 -0000
From:      tmseck-lists@netcologne.de (Thomas-Martin Seck)
To:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Latest squid update

* RW <rwmaillists@googlemail.com> [gmane.os.freebsd.devel.ports]:

> And grep found netdb_filename too.
>
> I don't see the point of this move. I can see a case for relocating the
> files properly according to hier, and I can see a case for leaving it
> where it is (/usr/local causes fewer hassles with partition
> size). /var/squid seems to be the worst of both to me.

See the mailing list archives, March 17-21. No one came up to "defend"
the way Squid used to install so it seemed obvious that no one really
cares. I had hoped for some sort of discussion about the way we handle
hier(7) conformity in ports -- but nope. Sorry folks.

Personally, I am perfectly fine with a Squid cache under PREFIX but
there are very verbose people who told me on this very list that I
am basically the antichrist or at least a moron for having Squid
put its data and log files (and the pid file!) under PREFIX, knowingly
violating hier(7).  Since Squid 2.7/3.0 cannot separate cache and
log dir (they are subdirectories of the "localstatedir") I could
not intelligently separate logs from caches without major hackery.
So everything was moved to /var. Squid 3.1 is a bit more hier(7)
conformant in this regard but the cache will still be suggested to
be in /var/squid/cache.

Existing installations will continue to use the configured caches
under PREFIX/squid or wherever you had put them. And you are free
to put the cache directories wherever it best suits you when you
design a new installation. /var/squid/cache is just a suggestion
in squid.conf.default or squid.conf.annotated, nothing more.

The UPDATING entry is not meant to be all inclusive and it is
possible that I overlooked entries -- but you definitely need to
watch where your access.log and cache.log end up so you do not
inadvertently fill up your /var partition.