Date:      Sun, 25 Mar 2012 10:26:23 -0700
From:      Devin Teske <devin.teske@fisglobal.com>
To:        Da Rock <freebsd-questions@herveybayaustralia.com.au>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Intercepting X11 events

On Mar 25, 2012, at 8:04 AM, Da Rock wrote:

> I'm not 100% sure where else to ask this. I have an annoying window that =
disappears when I click close (ha ha, yes I know it will usually do that, b=
ut this one doesn't go away) but it is unable to cooperate with the system =
tray so it simply becomes "invisible", and hangs about in the background.
>=20
> In my investigationings I had a brainwave that since I cannot change the =
program (not without enormous effort) in the short term, maybe I can find a=
 way to terminate the program and manage it externally with a script.
>=20
> So I'm looking to find a wrapper, or a script that can intercept the clos=
e event and kill the process (can't find a better way to handle it). Any id=
eas?
>=20

I think you want "x11/xnee" from the ports tree.

http://www.freshports.org/x11/xnee/

(blurb) =85 Xnee receives X11 protocol data (e.g. XEvents) from an X server=
 and prints them to a file (or stout)=85

I'd think you'd be able to watch for the particular Event you're interested=
 in.

Another think you may want to look into is=20

Full disclosure: Haven't used Xnee yet, but it has been on my radar as "som=
ething cool to look into" for awhile now.
--=20
Devin

> The DE is lightweight (Icewm, LXDE, similar) so the tray is either non ex=
istent or incompatible; the app itself is (#%$&!) java. Yep, thats right - =
it only speaks Gnome/KDE...
>=20
> Cheers
>=20
>=20
> Afterword: And yes, it took me that long to figure out the Java systray p=
roblem and the lack of a solution in my googling.