Date:      Wed, 17 Jul 2002 09:52:46 -0700
From:      Joe Kelsey <joek@mail.flyingcroc.net>
To:        freebsd-gnome <freebsd-gnome@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   gdm-2.4.0.2 still no luck...

Since I had to manually grab all the latest gnome2 stuff, I picked up
gdm-2.4.0.2 also.  I simply updated the Makefile and distinfo to work
correctly and did a make.  I did not try to look at the patch files, but
they seemed to apply with no errors.

The resulting executable exhibits the stalled socket problem when run
from /etc/ttys, i.e., it does not even accept the username anymore,
indicating that gdm-binary and the greeter are not communicating properly.

When run directly from a console login, it seems to work slightly better
than gdm-2.4.0.1 in that there is less of a pause when displaying the
graphical greeter.  The old behavior had a very long delay between the X
server starting and the graphical greeter putting up the circles
display.  Now, the graphical greeter starts very quickly.

Since gdm-2.4.0.2 installed without complaints from the existing
patches, I guess I should look into the existing patches to see if they
are causing a problem, but I don't really have the time right now.
 Maybe this weekend...

/Joe