Date:      Tue, 15 Dec 1998 22:22:25 +0100 (CET)
From:      Andrzej Bialecki <abial@nask.pl>
To:        Howard Goldstein <hg@ParView.com>
Cc:        Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@critter.freebsd.dk>, freebsd-small@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: MAKEDEV call in mfs.tree vs. "sliced" devices

On Mon, 14 Dec 1998, Howard Goldstein wrote:

> Poul-Henning Kamp writes:
>  >
>  > (regarding use of "sh MAKEDEV" in the MAKEDEV script.)
>  >
>  > shouldn't we be able to do a
>  >
>  > 	sh $0 mumble mumble mumble ?
>  >
>  > instead ?  That would maintain POLA(*).
>
> Yes, this would be far preferable to YMHCS
>
> (yet more hard coded stuff)

Well, I think I'll restore previous way of doing this for PicoBSD, i.e:
	(cp /dev/MAKEDEV ${DESTDIR}/dev/; \
	cd ${DESTDIR}/dev; ./MAKEDEV whatever ... ;\
	rm ./MAKEDEV)

MAKEDEV as a shell script should die, IMVHO. It's not so hard to write a
small C program to make device nodes basing on majors/minors data file and
command line parameters. As it is now, it requires awk, sed, expr, mknod,
chown, chgrp, echo, ln, rm, and whatnot, and is greatly inconsistent in
its ways (e.g. different naming of parameters vs. actual device names,
some devices are always made in /dev, etc, etc...).

Andrzej Bialecki

 <abial@nask.pl>       ||PicoBSD||   FreeBSD in your pocket? Go and see:
 Research & Academic   |+-------+|       "Small & Embedded FreeBSD"
 Network in Poland     | |TT~~~| |    http://www.freebsd.org/~picobsd/