Date:      Thu, 25 Mar 2010 14:01:21 +0100
From:      Ivan Voras <ivoras@freebsd.org>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Multi node storage, ZFS

On 03/25/10 00:45, Michal wrote:

> backend storage for databases. It's all well and good having 1 ZFS
> server, but it's fragile in the the sense of no redundancy, then we have
> 1 ZFS server and a 2nd with DRBD, but that's a waste of money...think 12
> TB, and you need to pay for another 12TB box for redundancy, and you are
> still looking at 1 server. I am thinking a cheap solution but one that
> has IO throughput, redundancy and is easy to manange and expand across
> multiple nodes.

Well, what I described is kind of like that, centered around trying to
best balance redundancy and cost. For example, you don't need two 12 TB
boxes in a mirror. Depending on what you need you can get only one 12 TB
box at the start, then with ZFS trivially extend that storage with
another 12 TB box when you need it, repeat to infinity (each box will
internally have RAID6 or something like that). Of course then you have a
problem if a single box fails, which you can get around by using
triplets of 12 TB boxes in RAIDZ, etc. etc.