Date:      Wed, 10 Mar 1999 12:35:26 +0100
From:      Peter Weijmarshausen <pete@bowtie.nl>
To:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   using dd to make backup of disk?

Hi there,

I have a question concerning the use of dd to
make a backup of a harddisk onto an *identical*
backup disk using FreeBSD 2.2.8:

If the disk copied contains a live filesystem,
which is modified by user processes all the time,
what can there be said about the dd copy?
I tried this and the only problem fsck detected
was that the clean flag isn't set, other than that
there were no problems.
Before you all start mailing me about how stupid it
is to use dd as a backup mechanism: I use this in
order to maintain an instant bootable backup.
So if the primary disk crashes I unplug it, reboot the
system and I have a working system again.

Please respond to my email address because I am not
a member of hackers

Thanks in advance for any help,

Pete

--
Peter Weymarshausen                     BowTie Technology
Email: P.Weymarshausen@bowtie.nl        WWW & Databases