Date:      Mon, 05 Jan 1998 19:12:01 -0600
From:      David Kelly <dkelly@HiWAAY.net>
To:        freebsd-scsi@freebsd.org
Subject:   Backup Exec tape format?

A tape arrived at work with some important data on it that we were
not able to read with the standard Unix methods. After digging around
and reading the tape raw with dd it appears to have been written with
Backup Exec for Windows NT. Would you believe a 512-byte block?

We don't have any of those and were dumbfounded that somebody thought
we could read it.

Am looking for two things:
1a) the format of a Backup Exec tape so I could write:
1b) source code to a Backup Exec tape reader

the real solution is:
2) a free tar or pax for NT and SCSI DAT/DSS tape drives