Date:      Tue, 6 Apr 1999 16:35:32 -0400
From:      Mike Sawicki <fifi@HAX.org>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   SMP peculiar behavior

I have had FreeBSD running on my machine for the past 12 hours.  Everything
was working excellently.  At 3pm today, the syslog attempted to roll over,
and both syslogd and named stopped responding.  There is no load on the
machine, and sendmail, sshd, xntpd and httpd are all working without
problems.  I have tried starting syslogd again and it complains after
about 30 seconds with the following error:

syslogd: timed out waiting for child

Attempts to start named produce a locked shell, and I have to forcefully kill
the process.

Debugging for syslog showed the following:

[prozac]:(log)### /usr/sbin/syslogd -d
syslogd: cannot create /var/run/log: Address already in use
logmsg: pri 53, flags 4, from prozac, msg syslogd: cannot create /var/run/log: Address already in use
^Csyslogd: exiting on signal 2
syslogd: exiting on signal 2
logmsg: pri 53, flags 4, from prozac, msg syslogd: exiting on signal 2
^C^Z
[1]+  Suspended               /usr/sbin/syslogd -d
[prozac]:(log)### kill -9 %1
[1]+  Killed                  /usr/sbin/syslogd -d

Any help would be appreciated.
--
[ Mike Sawicki < f i f i at HAX d.o.t org >  *DIE SPAM BOTS!*  ]
[ UNIX Systems Administrator, Geek & USENET Destructor ......  ]

 --- "i am AN hacker." ---