Date:      Mon, 22 Jan 2001 16:05:01 -0800
From:      "Jason Watkins" <jwatkins@firstplan.com>
To:        "Freebsd-Stable" <freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   ftp logins

Since rebuilding from 4.1 release to -stable, I've had a curious problem
with ftp logins. Users which should be allowed to log into ftp will get a
denial message immedately after entrying the login name, the password prompt
is never given.

I'm not all that familiar with freebsd, however the users (or groups) are
not in /etc/ftpusers banlist. Most of the users are configured with tcsh as
their shell, none are in /etc/ftpchroot.

I've since built and installed wu-ftpd-2.6.0. Now users are prompted for a
password, however, are still denied login.

Newly created users work just fine. Existing users can login via ssh, etc
just fine.

I've asked some other more knowledgeable friends to look at this as well,
and they can't figure out what the problem is either. It does appear that
someone inadvertantly enabled anonymous ftp, and some warezer did a speed
test, decided it was to slow to use as a dump, and moved on. It doesn't
appear he did anything more nefarious, but I can't be absolutely sure.

Any ideas?

jason watkins
jwatkins@firstplan.com