Date:      Thu, 1 Apr 1999 00:04:56 +0000
From:      Nik Clayton <nik@nothing-going-on.demon.co.uk>
To:        stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   libgnumalloc not found after 3.1-stable upgrade

Folks,

I just migrated to 3.1-stable by wiping the disk, installing the
bin and src distributions, and then running "make -DNOAOUT world",
followed by some reconfiguration of /etc.

Everything seems to have gone OK so far, until I try and build
some ports.  Any that rely on libgnumalloc in fact.

I've gone through the mailing list archive, and where this has
been a problem for other people it's because /usr/lib/compat
wasn't in the ldconfig search path.

I've checked, this;

    # ldconfig -r
    /var/run/ld-elf.so.hints:
	search directories: /usr/lib:/usr/lib/compat:/usr/X11R6/lib:/usr/local/lib

libgnumalloc is definitely in /usr/lib/compat, as evidenced by this output
from file(1)

    libgnumalloc.so.1.1: \
        FreeBSD/i386 compact demand paged shared library not stripped

But building a port (say, graphics/xpm) dies with

    cc -o sxpm -O2 -fno-strength-reduce      -L/usr/X11R6/lib sxpm.o -L../lib -L/usr/X11R6/lib -lXpm -lXt -lSM -lICE -lXext -lX11    -lgnumalloc  -Wl,-rpath,/usr/X11R6/lib:/usr/X11R6/lib
    /usr/libexec/elf/ld: cannot open -lgnumalloc: No such file or directory
    *** Error code 1

    Stop.

I've re-run "ldconfig -m /usr/lib/compat" many times, but to no effect.

I haven't changed anything ldconfig related in /etc/rc.conf.local, and
/etc/defaults/rc.conf contains;

    ldconfig_paths="/usr/lib/compat /usr/X11R6/lib /usr/local/lib"
    ldconfig_paths_aout="/usr/lib/compat/aout /usr/X11R6/lib/aout /usr/local/lib/aout"

which look correct.

Any ideas?

                    Bagel: The carbohydrate with the hole