Date:      Thu, 17 Jan 2002 00:47:11 +1000
From:      Stephen McKay <mckay@thehub.com.au>
To:        freebsd-multimedia@freebsd.org
Cc:        mckay@thehub.com.au
Subject:   Fortissimo II vs Santa Cruz for FreeBSD

Hi!  I'm looking to upgrade my sound card, and among the long list of
requirements is 1) must sound really nice, and 2) must work with FreeBSD.
A surprising requirement (from most people's point of view) is that I
want to avoid Creative.  Let's just say they annoyed me once. :-)

I've read good reviews on both the Hercules Fortissimo II and the
Turtle Beach Santa Cruz.  Most reviews go for the Santa Cruz over
the Fortissimo II, but that might not help me much.  Where I live,
I could buy a Fortissimo II any day I wanted, but have yet to find
a single supplier of the Santa Cruz.  I'll keep looking though.

But enough of all that!  I want to know how well these two cards are
supported under FreeBSD for basic stereo input and output.

The Fortissimo II is powered by a CS4624 chip and the Santa Cruz by a CS4630
chip, and these chips appear in text strings in /sys/dev/sound/pci/csa.c.
"Turtle Beach Santa Cruz" is specifically mentioned, and I'm guessing
the Fortissimo II will be detected, but I don't know how well the driver
works for either of them.  The only comments I recall being posted about
the CS4630 (and friends) is that "it will work soon", but nothing since
that (and that was quite some time ago).  I can't find anything recent in
the list archives.

So, has anybody tried either of these cards with FreeBSD?  How do they
sound?  Do they even work at all?  Any problems with 44.1kHz (given that
both of them run at 48kHz internally, as far as I know)?  Does recording
work?  And does anybody know where I can buy a Santa Cruz in Australia?

Thanks,

Stephen.

PS I heard a rumour that the VideoLogic SonicFury is the Santa Cruz
board in a different box.  Does anyone know if this is true?