Date:      Sun, 17 Feb 2002 21:03:59 -0500
From:      Michael Sharp <ms@probsd.ws>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Mergemaster

I'm kinda new to FreeBSD and I am about to do the -RELEASE to -STABLE
procedure. I'm a little confused as to what mergemaster does, and what I
should do.. whether install the temp, or delete, or merge. As I understand
it, if you have self-edited files in the /etc directory and you want to keep
those changes, you dont install the temp file and leave it for later.
However, if you havent self-edited a /etc file, its best to install it. Am I
correct?  What 'merge' does, I have no idea?  Someone mind clarifying what
mergemaster does, is it ok to skip the process?

michael