Date:      Mon, 31 Jul 2006 12:10:33 +0200
From:      Pawel Jakub Dawidek <pjd@FreeBSD.org>
To:        "R. B. Riddick" <arne_woerner@yahoo.com>
Cc:        Brent Hostetler <brenthostetler@gmail.com>, freebsd-geom@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: gmirror/gconcat: mkdir causes system reboot

--k+w/mQv8wyuph6w0

On Mon, Jul 31, 2006 at 01:51:25AM -0700, R. B. Riddick wrote:
> --- Brent Hostetler <brenthostetler@gmail.com> wrote:
> > These errors repeated for about  3meg log file of errors.
> >
> Hmm... Maybe u mounted ur file system unclean somewhen (e. g. by pressing
> CTRL+C during the boot process) and then the errors escalated cataclysmic=
ally?
> :-)
>=20
> Or maybe ur gmirror's where out of sync due to some strange administrative
> trick or due to a system crash during synchronization (so that just one h=
alf of
> the mirror had the new data, while it stayed unmentioned, that the other =
half
> had still the old data (this is something fsck could miss, when it just r=
eads
> the new/good half of the mirror (e. g. because those discs r faster or be=
cause
> of a coincidence))).

Gmirror protects against such situations - on power loss or system crash
it will resynchronize mirrors.

I've heard of problems with growfs(8). Another option is incorrect addition
of the new disk to gconcat device.

--=20
pjd@FreeBSD.org                           http://www.FreeBSD.org

--k+w/mQv8wyuph6w0