Date:      Thu, 7 Jun 2001 00:14:29 +0200 (EET)
From:      Taavi Talvik <taavi@uninet.ee>
To:        Soren Kristensen <soren@soekris.com>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Making support for ADSL interface ??

On Wed, 6 Jun 2001, Soren Kristensen wrote:

If you will give all neccessary documentation and microcode (for
chipsets), then it is definitely interesting. I have unsuccessfully
discussed writing drivers for ADSL cards with several vendors (alcatel,
adi, efficient) but no one have not had courage to give out real
information. Even released linux drivers are mostly fakes - some kernel
modules providing ioctl interface for binary only userland parts.

When driver for hardware is available, I believe, that then freebsd
community has enough people to develop surrounding infrastructure further.

> I would like to inquire about what it would take to make a driver for a specific
> ADSL board with direct PCI interface to FreeBSD....
>
> First, lets assume that I will supply boards, and that all necessery
> documentation will be available.
>
> How good is FreeBSD current structures for running ADSL, I'm thinking about the
> ATM support already present, and probably using netgraph ? I would need support
> for the most common protocols used worldwide, t.ex PPPoATM, IPoATM....
>
> Next, is there any takers for doing the actual work ? I would probably need
> somebody who has some knowledge about ADSL and ATM, and have access to some
> equipment and/or lines for testing.

best regards,
taavi

PS. If only someone would provide microcode and little bit additional
information for compleating driver for efficient 3060/3061 pci cards
(http://home.uninet.ee/~taavi/lanai/) :)