Date:      Thu, 9 Mar 1995 10:54:10 -0600
From:      Mark Tinguely <tinguely@plains.nodak.edu>
To:        brian@mediacity.com
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re:  Slow machine messing up my ethernet?

>  I have about 6 machines on my private little ethernet.
>
>  I was ftp'ing some stuff between a 486DX2/66 running BSD/OS 1.1
>  with an SMC WD8013EPC and a P5/90 running FreeBSD 2.1.0-Development
>  with a DEC PCI Ethernet card.  Each file was about 240K and I was
>  seeing around 50 to 100K per second transfers.
>
>  Every 5 or 10 files the ethernet would be wedged.  None of the
>  machines on my net could talk to any of the others.
>
>  I found that turning of a third machine, 486DX2/66 running
>  FreeBSD 2.1.0-Development with a SMC Ultra Elite, allowed the transfers
>  between the 1st two machines to proceed without incident.
>
>  I haven't exhaustively tested this, but thought I'd check if anyone
>  else had run into something similar.

is the wedge permanent or take about a minute or so to clear?

do you have a thin net (10Base-2)? if so, pull on each connector on both
ends of all the wires to see if one is loose or has a bad ground. also
make sure you have at least half a meter of wire between the last tee and
the terminator.

to check for a bad ethercard, run tcpdump from the pentium. if you see a
broadcast storm coming from one machine that may explain the problem.

--mark