Date:      Wed, 20 Sep 2000 14:35:11 -0600 (MDT)
From:      Fred Clift <fclift@verio.net>
To:        Edward Elhauge <ee@uncanny.net>
Cc:        Alfred Perlstein <bright@wintelcom.net>, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Frustration with SCSI system

If you're willing to go through strange install contortions, you can boot
off of an MFS (Or MD, depending on what version you use ) root filesystem
(copies stored in separate partition, on both disks you are mirroring) and
then have everything else mirrored.  Then at least your running system
doesn't rely on any unmirrored disks.  You can put a minimal root
filesystem in memory and then have the rest of the stuff moved out via
either symlinks or via  just moving things around.  Ie if you want to set
up a bunch of boxes, it's nice to have most of the rc bootup stuff really
reside on the vinum'd user...

At any rate, from what I understand, it's the boot loader that doesn't
understand vinum disks.  put a kernel and minimum stuff somewhere the
bootloader can find it and then mirror the rest.  If one of the disks goes
out, things keep working (root in memory, usr mirrored) and if you have to
reboot, just make sure the good disk is the preferred boot device in your
scsi bios.

On Wed, 20 Sep 2000, Edward Elhauge wrote:

> OK, vinum is good. But my understanding is that you can't use vinum on
> your root partition. By Murphy's Law it always seems to be root that gets
> screwed up. And that also causes the biggest problems because then you
> have to yank the system apart and find another host disk for booting.
>
> Well spoken Alfred Perlstein <bright@wintelcom.net> wrote:
> >* Edward Elhauge <ee@uncanny.net> [000920 12:48] wrote:
> >> Hello Freebsders,
> >>
> >> I've been using FreeBSD over the last 6 years (since I switched from
> >> NetBSD) to run a small ISP out of my basement.
> >>
> >> I've had about six disk crashes in as many years and still don't know how
> >> to work reliably with them.
> >
> >"man vinum"
> >
> >software mirroring == good.
> >
> >:)
> >
> >-Alfred
> --
>         Edward Elhauge <ee@uncanny.net> -- Uncanny Inc., San Francisco
> "War is like love; it always finds a way." -- Bertold Brecht

Fred Clift - fclift@verio.net -- Remember: If brute
force doesn't work, you're just not using enough.