Date:      Sat, 2 Dec 2000 14:07:55 +1100 (EST)
From:      Andy Farkas <andyf@speednet.com.au>
To:        Serial <luke@roberts.nl>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Need HELP to Log User Log-ins from the internet

On Fri, 1 Dec 2000, Serial wrote:

> Now I would like to log FTP and telnet Log-in's from teleworkers who connect
> to the machine from the internet.
> I woul like to see the time and IP numer from which users Log-in.
>
> I have looked at the /var/log/messages file but this only shows SU Login's.

You probably want to do what the comment in /etc/syslog.conf says:

# uncomment this to enable logging of all log messages to /var/log/all.log
*.*                                             /var/log/all.log

After doing that, restart the deamon:

  touch /var/log/all.log
  kill -HUP `cat /var/run/inetd.pid`

All messages will now be logged to that file.

But that is not the real answer to your question :-)  The real answer is
that login(1) messages are logged with level daemon.info, ftp messages are
logged with level ftp.* and you don't have these being logged via
/etc/syslog.conf directives.

Hope this helps :-)

--

 :{ andyf@speednet.com.au