Date:      Sun, 13 Aug 2000 22:32:59 -0700
From:      "Crist J . Clark" <cjclark@reflexnet.net>
To:        Howard Leadmon <howardl@account.abs.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: DNS resolution failures wtih NIS??  Help...

On Sun, Aug 13, 2000 at 03:01:43PM -0400, Howard Leadmon wrote:

>   I decided to start using NIS between a couple FBSD boxes, and overall things
> are going well with one big exception.  Seems if an IP address connects to
> my server that won't resolve, then NIS hangs the session and I end up with
> stacks of sendmail and ftpd's that just pile up till the box gets overloaded
> with processes.. :(
>
>  As an example, here is a netstat from one of the machines:
>
> tcp4       0      0  mail1.ftp              nts2.1634              TIME_WAIT
> tcp4       0      0  mail1.smtp             fj.egroups.com.19006   TIME_WAIT
> yp_match: clnt_call: RPC: Timed out
> yp_match: clnt_call: RPC: Timed out
> yp_match: clnt_call: RPC: Timed out
> yp_match: clnt_call: RPC: Timed out
> yp_match: clnt_call: RPC: Timed out
>

> Note the Timed out messages will just keep on scrolling, and the netstat will
> never return to the shell prompt unless I break out of the process.  So really
> any program that needs DNS resolution this could happen to.  I have several
> machines in the NIS group, all are FBSD 4.0 or 4.1, some are Intel, and some
> are DEC Alpha, and they all do the exact same thing.
>
> Any ideas, as I have to keep rebooting every couple days to clear the
> thousands of processes that just stack up over time.. :(

Just so you know, I used to see this in 3.x-STABLE with FreeBSD
clients to a non-FreeBSD NIS master (IRIX 5.3 and 6.5). I never did
associate those messages with a specific process tho'. They'd just
start to pop up in a xterm and I'd kill the term. Never saw any long
lasting problems.

Don't think it's really a -STABLE issue.

Have you tried turning off NIS host resolution in /etc/host.conf (if
it's even on)?
--
Crist J. Clark                           cjclark@alum.mit.com