Date:      Thu, 19 Jul 2001 12:17:31 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Garrett Wollman <wollman@khavrinen.lcs.mit.edu>
To:        "C. Stephen Gunn" <csg@waterspout.com>
Cc:        Brooks Davis <brooks@one-eyed-alien.net>, net@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: sysctl net.link.vlan.link.proto

<<On Thu, 19 Jul 2001 08:57:27 -0500, "C. Stephen Gunn" <csg@waterspout.com> said:

> I have some other patches around that ease the interrupt-time requirements
> by scheduling a NETISR for vlan traffic.  I wasn't ever sure if that was
> a true win, so I didn't contrib them.

I think it's actually a substantial lose, since all that will happen
is that the VLAN code will spin for a cycle or two to locate the
correct pseudo-interface and then stick the decapsulated packet on a
different soft ISR's queue instead.  Better to decapsulate immediately
and avoid an extra queueing step.

-GAWollman