Date:      Fri, 14 Feb 2003 09:10:12 -0500
From:      Chuck Swiger <cswiger@mac.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: file system trouble

Heinrich Rebehn wrote:
[ ... ]
> The /home filesystem was full (121G partition on a 3ware escalade raid)
> So i deleted 7G, but df did not show any difference. The fs is mounted
> w/ soft-updates. I issued a sync command, but still no change. The files
> were no longer shown in ls, but space was not freed.

Was some process holding those files open?  The space doesn't get freed
until that process terminates.

> So i decided to reboot, to make sure that the deleted files are not
> still opened by some process. The shutdown went normal, but at the
> end it said:
>
> syncing disks..
>
> 3321 3321 3321 3316 .....
>
> I dont't know the exact numbers anymore, but it printed some 40x80 lines
> of 4 digit numbers, the last line was all 1s and then said:

When you rebooted, your system had ~3300 buffers of data that had not
yet been written to disk.  It was able to write almost all of them out
to disk, but it failed with one:

> giving up on 1 buffers.
>
> When rebooting, all fs were unclean and i had to wait the usual 20
> minutes for fsck to complete.

Yes.  FreeBSD probably should have marked the other filesystems (except
for the one with the open buffer) as clean.  But fsck'ing after a
moderately serious problem-- even if you may not have really needed to--
is a fail-safe approach.

-Chuck