Date:      Mon, 17 May 1999 14:53:18 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu>
To:        media@mail1.nai.net
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: possible bug in 3.1 STABLE

On Mon, 17 May 1999 media@mail1.nai.net wrote:

> >> Which fix??  I've read the Errata -- it didn't make any mention of this, or
> >> a broken pipe error.  I am re-running /stand/install after rebooting
> >> several times.  Perhaps I've read the wrong documents, where can I find the
> >> specific Errata in question??
> >
> >What problem?  You chopped it off and I forgot.  Start over!
>
> Not to sound unapreciative, but shouldn't you read a question before saying
> it's already answered in the Errata??

Well, I read the original question, gave the original answer, and now
you're asking me about the original question and didn't bother to include
it.  I answered that, oh, last Thursday?  I don't track individual
threads; I'd need a few gigabytes of brain and a 1024-processor array to
do that.

> Following the advice of the this list, I installed
> 3.1-STABLE-1990503 in place of 3.1-RELEASE.  I downloaded all new files from
> releng3.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/spapshots/i386 and made new floppies.  I am
> using a 133 Pentium w/64M RAM with no cd.  I then booted from the floppies
> and went to install from my primary DOS partition.
>
> It refused to install the src and XFree86 files.
>
> I checked the list of distribution files it couldn't transfer or extract
> against the contents of C:\FREEBSD\xf86333 and C:\FREEBSD\src  and they are
> all there.

Ah, this is what I ran into.  The ERRATA says you must place the files in
a RELEASES\ directory for DOS installs to work properly.

From http://www.freebsd.org/releases/3.1R/errata.html:

o  DOS installation fails when you actually follow the instructions
   to install stuff under C:\FREEBSD\BIN\... and so on.

Fix: The instructions are correct but the code was wrong in 3.1-RELEASE,
     sysinstall looking instead directly under C:\ (e.g. C:\BIN\...)
     or under C:\RELEASES\ (C:\RELEASES\BIN\... and so on).  Fixed
     in 3.1-STABLE.

Doug White