Date:      Fri, 29 Sep 2000 21:39:49 -0700
From:      David Greenman <dg@root.com>
To:        advocacy@freebsd.org
Cc:        chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   New download record for ftp.freesoftware.com

   FYI, this just went out on PRNewswire...

INTERNET'S BUSIEST OPENSOURCE SOFTWARE ARCHIVE SETS NEW DOWNLOAD RECORD

Portland, OR, September 29, 2000  TeraSolutions, Inc. and Lightning
Internet Services announced today that a popular OpenSource software
archive at ftp.freesoftware.com, which was built and maintained by
TeraSolutions, Inc., has surpassed the two trillion bytes (two terabytes)
milestone of files downloaded per day from a single server machine.
The new record was set after the simultaneous releases of Red Hat
Linux 7.0 and FreeBSD 4.1.1, two very popular free operating systems
for Intel Architecture computers.

"We're very pleased to have servers that we built, running the FreeBSD
operating system, set new milestones like this.  It really shows just how
well our large servers can perform in real-world situations using freely
available software", said David Greenman, TeraSolutions' President and
co-founder. "Equally impressive is the server's stability.  It was
pumping out upwards of 300 million bits per second to over 3000 users at
a time for the past several days without a glitch and has been operating
crash-free under similarly high loads for nearly two months now."

The server machine was installed earlier this year at Lightning Internet
Services' co-location facility in New York City.  "Lightning is very
excited about this achievement and demonstrates that our network can
easily support the likes of Linux and FreeBSD.  While Lightning continues
to be a leader in providing network services, bandwidth and co-location
facilities to ISP's, carriers, and content providers, this event clearly
validates our network performance and reliability", states Steve Nash,
Lightning's Director of Engineering.  Reid Fishler, President and founder
of Lightning adds, "We are happy to be working with TeraSolutions and
supporting the efforts of Linux and FreeBSD to revolutionize the OS
environment."

Based in Portland, Oregon, TeraSolutions is a manufacturer of high
reliability, high performance rack-mount Internet server and RAID storage
systems.  The company specializes in building the highest traffic Internet
servers in the world and is a leading supplier of RAID storage systems to
Internet content providers and ISP's.  TeraSolutions was founded in 1999
by FreeBSD co-founder David Greenman and industry veteran Marc Frajola.
For more information, visit www.terasolutions.com, contact them directly
at +1 503 288 9544, or email info@terasolutions.com.

Lightning Internet Services (New York) is a leading provider of Internet
connectivity and sophisticated network solutions to small and medium
size businesses and other ISP's.  Lightning was recently selected as
one of the Top 5 Rising Stars representing the fastest growing technology
companies on Long Island, N.Y. at the Fast 50 Awards presented by
Deloitte & Touche. Lightning provides businesses with a comprehensive
range of value-added products and services such as xDSL Internet service,
Virtual Private Networks, high-speed network access, consulting, and
co-location services.  Lightning's array of expertise is designed for
businesses to take advantage of their corporate networks and leverage
the Internet to effectively grow their on-line business strategy and
integrate communication services.  For further information about Lightning
Internet Services, LLC, please contact Chris Kern at (800) 845-0146,
visit http://www.lightning.net/ or email chrisk@lightning.net.

-DG

David Greenman
Co-founder, The FreeBSD Project - http://www.freebsd.org
President, TeraSolutions, Inc. - http://www.terasolutions.com
Pave the road of life with opportunities.