Date:      Sat, 2 Sep 2000 22:34:02 -0500
From:      Dan Nelson <dnelson@emsphone.com>
To:        John Galt <galt@inconnu.isu.edu>
Cc:        Ben Smithurst <ben@FreeBSD.org>, Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>, rob <europax@home.com>, Johannes Zwart <johannes@jak.nl>, questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Why not XEmacs, after all?

In the last episode (Sep 02), John Galt said:
> On Sat, 2 Sep 2000, Ben Smithurst wrote:
> > John Galt wrote:
> > > So why is it still forbidden in a fresh download?
> >
> > 4.0 is 4.0, it won't suddenly change.  Ever.  If you want to use
> > ports, cvsup the latest ports tree and you will get no such error.
>
> And this somehow makes lynx non-deprecated then?  To be more precise,
> I wanted to use packages, failed, and had to settle with the
> installed ports tree: this also failed, so I got the tarball and am
> now using lynx.  It's not available "out of the box" in a major
> version release, this is a result of a policy decision, therefore it
> may be said that it's deprecated until such a time as it can be
> proven that the policy no longer is in force: one datum is not enough
> proof in this case, otherwise one could say that MS-win 3.X was
> 32-bit, since win 3.11 had some 32-bit components, and there was a
> backported fix for win 3.1 called win32s.

The FreeBSD source tree is not a static thing, much to the dismay of
CDROM-pressing companies.  At some point in time, Jordan has to decide
to lay down a -RELEASE tag to give to the CDROM guys.  The tag covers
the entire CVS tree, including ports.

It just so happened the 4.0 was tagged on March 14, 2000, which just
happened to land right in the middle of the short 2-month span that
Lynx was marked FORBIDDEN.  Keep in mind it was dangerous for a long
long time before that, just no-one noticed.  One month after 4.0 was
tagged, a version of Lynx came out that the porter approved of, and he
marked it safe again.

Lynx /is/ deprecated in the same sense that the current date /is/ March
14, 2000.  That is: it is not.  Lynx /was/ deprecated at the time
4.0-RELEASE was tagged, and that's all.

In the terms of your Windows analogy:  Win3.11 cannot play freecell.
Win311 + win32s can play freecell.  4.0-RELEASE does not have Lynx.
4.0-RELEASE + 4.0-stable ports tree has Lynx.

> So is 4.0 frozen or dynamic?  Or are you not running 4.0 after the
> first cvs update?  If you can't get lynx in 4.0 (not 4.0 plus a
> couple of things), I still say it's deprecated until I see more than
> one release reversing the change.

4.0-RELEASE was frozen at of March 14, 2000, so since he updated ports,
he is no longer running a stock 4.0-RELEASE system, no.  He is running
4.0-RELEASE userland and kernel, with a 4.*-stable ports tree.

--
	Dan Nelson
	dnelson@emsphone.com